Reflections of a Call Center Owner

Friday, August 26, 2005

Why work in Call Center Management?

I don't think anyone went to school thinking, "I want to grow up and work in a call center", but a lot wind up working in call centers.

I know a lot who started on the floor and wound up working their way into management and making a career from it.

I also know a few who have tried to leave the field several times and keep coming back to it.

One of the things that I really enjoyed was working with a lot of very interesting people. I also enjoyed the variety of projects that we worked on. We saw hundreds of different marketing campaigns, and it was interesting to see the different business philosophies. Some companies were brilliantly run companies and some you just knew that they wouldn't last through the year.

I think having some call center management job can be beneficial to your career path. You know what it is like on the front lines, you know how to motivate and manage people, you know how to use metrics to guide your decisions, you know the importance of quality in your product. Those skills are transferable to other areas of the company.