Reflections of a Call Center Owner

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Impact of a Leader

In reference to my last post about the importance of grooming leaders within your call center, consider this post by an agent:

There is not really any clear leadership, and yelling at everyone and vague memos have to suffice for real training.

That said, I'm still here. I haven't been fired in the five plus years, I haven't been forced to sign any kind of oral or written warning, I have only had one review (I asked for more, they said they were coming). Then on the other hand, I haven't gotten any kind of raise, I haven't got one of those high performer plaques that they give out in the Friday morning sales meetings. I have had one really good ass chewing, and got yelled at across the floor a couple times, but nothing more than that.


I found that almost all agents really want to do a good job. But without appropriate leadership, they are unclear as to how to do a good job or how exactly you define what it means to do a good job. Consider the agent's comments above - only had one review in over 5 years, training comes through vague memos, correction comes by yelling across the floor. Can you find ways to enrich lives of promising agents by grooming them to be future leaders, giving them honest feedback on their strengths and weaknesses and creating appropriate motivation to improve. Five years at one place is quite remarkable in the Call Center Universe. I hope this company realizes that the value of this agent!